Types of hosting services
A hosting solution is associated with storing and/or sharing specific content on a web server hosted by a web hosting distributor. There are various classes of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's take a glance at these. Thus, you can elect what you need, depending on whether you'd like to own a web portal, emails, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service furnished by given file storage providers, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage plans are often supported by exhibiting advertisements next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular interval of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is an entirely mistaken explanation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would split the workload between separate hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different web space hosting services (mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some suppliers provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting kind is suitable if you want to share a vast number of pictures with comrades or associates since the service is typically free of cost. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to taking care of your email mailbox accounts. Some distributors offer hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you wish to have an email address with your domain name but do not desire to own a website, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email box accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video generates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video clips and a few hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your web page hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to operate as many video files as you wish without worrying about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to possess a website. To some extent, it encompasses all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At OzeVision Web Hosting, for instance, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting solutions that enable you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting package may be better or worse compared to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for specific content solely.